Sunday, January 15, 2012

Red Beans and Rice and Cornbread

Red Beans and RiceBrown long grain rice, cooked according to the box
Dried red beans, cooked according to the back of the bag
Mix together
Add a creole seasoning, generously. I really like Konriko Creole Seasoning. I claims to be wheat and gluten free and without MSG. So far, Charlotte has eaten ALOT of this and has never reacted.

I have just received a pressure cooker, and am slowly learning how to make things with it. Once I get brave, I like to think I'll be able to make this MUCH faster.

My very favorite corn bread recipe is Quaker's. It used to be on the box, but now it's hit-or-miss. It can be used with ANY cornmeal, but NOT a cornmeal mix, however, as I learned!!)

Here is the Cornbread Recipe:

1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Quaker (or whatever you have) enriched corn meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400 F. Grease 8 or 9 inch pan. Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Serve warm.
(Fast and one of my all time favorites!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment