Monday, January 23, 2012

Homemade Jerky

We LOVE jerky.  It is SOO good, but have had a harder and harder time eating it with all the preservatives in it.  I have a lot of allergies to preservatives and my son and husband have both gotten headaches from MSG, which is in a LOT of jerky...and now, pushed by the Little Miss, we are reassessing our options. 

My brother and his wife got me a small dehydrator from Ace Hardware for my birthday.  I cannot tell you how excited I am about it...and so here is my favorite and most successful jerky recipe:

1.5lbs of meat (deer!!!) lean beef sliced thinly, a little thicker is moister and tasty, but different than you may be used to...

Take:
1/4 teasp garlic salt
1/4 ground black pepper
1/2 teasp sorgum molassas
mixed into 1/4 cup of soy sauce....pour over into meat...it's supposed to soak into the meat for 2-4 hours.

Then put in oven at 150* for 4 hours or cook in skillet until not pink, then put into dehydrator for 1-2 days. I recommend deer cube steak, deer tenderloin, or deer hams jerky cut.

Store in an airtight container until it's gone...a couple of days, here!!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment