Saturday, February 4, 2012

Granola with extras

Okay...today NEEDED some granola...badly.  And so I succumbed.  And had to fight myself not to eat it hot off the cookie sheet.


(This is a half-batch...)
Um, I feel the need to 'fess up where I got it, ethics and all that...but it is still delicious for EVERYONE!  I found this recipe on diaperswappers.com, as a recipe for up-ing your milk production while nursing...BUT it doesn't have anything in it that isn't great for everyone's health, so please don't let that stop you!!

One of the things I loved about this recipe, is that it is easy to make in small amounts.  I had to change the sunflower kernals to bashed up/crushed cocktail peanuts, with Charlotte's new allergy...and sometimes I have been known to use agave syrup mixed with honey, half-and-half proportions when I was running low on honey...which seems to happen more and more...I need to get a scarey big jug of local raw honey...And as with many of my recipes, you can add what you like and leave out whatever you don't or are allergic to...and it's still delish!!  :)

4 cups regular or steel cut oats
1/2 cup flaked coconut (optional)
1/2 cup sunflower kernels
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 tbsp flaxseed meal
2 tbsp brewer's yeast
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, peanuts, almonds, or a mix)
1 cup dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, dates, apricots, or a mix)

Combine everything except nuts and fruit in a large bowl. Spread onto a lightly greased cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Pull out of oven and stir in nuts and fruit. Cool and store in an airtight container.


Eat with milk, almond milk, on ice cream, on yogurt...throw it in a baggie and eat it as you drive, dry like a trail mix...  Top it on the Cinnamon Banana Apple Stew and pretend it's streusel!!  Your mouth would never know the difference!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment